Tembe Elephant Park is home to some of the largest elephants in Africa. It is a 30 000 hectare Big 5 game reserve, with more than 340 bird species and various other animals. This park is also the ancestral home of the Tembe Tribe. Three of the largest tuskers (Isilo, Induna and Makobona) in Southern Africa came from Tembe Elephant Park. Isilo, who was the largest tusker, unfortunately died in January 2014 of natural causes. His memory lives on by those who have seen him and those who knew about him. Tembe Elephant Park is not only popular for its magnificent elephants but also for its unique sand forest, swamp and savannah ecosystem. The lodge is small and intimate, offering luxury tented accommodation. Accommodation packages available are full service including game drives, self catering and self catering with meals. The fully catered package includes stunning safari tent accommodation, all delicious meals and 2 daily game drives in search of those big tuskers.
A typical day of a full service package itinerary:
- A cold breakfast before your morning game drive, on your return you can enjoy a freshly cooked brunch. Relax around the boma area, or go for a refreshing swim.
- Enjoy sundowners on your afternoon game drive whilst taking in the sights and sounds of Tembe Elephant Park.
- Dinner is served Under African Skies. A bushbaby may pop by to say hello from the trees during dinner time.
- For the rest of the evening, relax around the campfire sharing your story of Tembe Elephant Park. The staff are always willingly telling stories about the times Isilo came through the camp or other memorable moments experienced.
- Self drive packages have the option of including meals.